Google has come a long way since its inception in 1998 to become the world’s largest and most-used search engine site. Google has transformed the way we used to study and played a major role in imparting education and knowledge accessible and comfortable for all.
The mission of the company is to systematically arrange all the information in the world and make it available and useful all over the globe.
Google strongly thinks that open technology is important to boost the education system and the open technology can revolutionize education.
The company has more than 40 million teachers, tutors, staff members, faculty members, and students who utilize Google Apps. Of all the educational devices purchased by American students in 2014, about 20% was a Chromebook, a device designed by Google to access its educational platform.
Out of the best 100 American universities, more than 70 are using Google Apps and search engine. Out of eight Ivy League universities, seven are using Google Apps and search engine.
Google has contributed immensely in helping educational institutions to achieve their dreams of being paperless organization, simplification of staff development, and novel ways of student collaboration.
Google envisages providing easy accessibility to more and more students irrespective of their socioeconomic background, making students’ experience simpler, and increasing focus on innovating new tools for students.
The Role of Google in Education:
- It empowers students and levels the playing field for them: Google empowers students irrespective of their age, socioeconomic status, nationality, gender, religion, ethnicity, and other such factors. It levels the playing field for all students around the globe and gives them an equal advantage with all the information, learning materials, and tools for their education. Google provides students the opportunity to explore a world of limitless possibilities and make available a wide range of information to them. It has also transformed the role of the teachers from just information providers to and flag bearers for students.
- It offers a wide range of choice to both educators & students: Google offers a great range of choice to both educators and students in terms of compatibility with reading and educational devices. Google ensures compatibility with a wide array of devices be it a smart phone, tablet, desktop, laptop, irrespective of manufacturer and operating software. Google apps and search engines can be used at home, in school, or on the move.
- Its free search-engine site and low cost apps and devices allow everyone to afford the service: Google has been able to have a wide penetration in all educational institutions and workplaces irrespective of boundaries because of its free search-engine site and low cost (some free) apps. Its educational devices are quite affordable and are widely used by students from all age groups and socioeconomic backgrounds. The apps and devices are also very easy to maintain and give no hassle to the users.
- Its apps and services foster high degree of collaboration and teamwork: The Google apps and sites such as the collaborative productivity suite have transformed the teaching methods as well as the learning techniques. The Google apps foster collaboration and teamwork among teachers and students. This results in the development of organizational skills and problem solving approach of young students.
- Its apps enhance efficiency, productivity, and effectiveness of the educators and students: The Google apps and products are superfast and supported by the best talent pool in the world. Using the Google products enhance efficiency, productivity, and effectiveness of the educators and students. The products of Google can be easily customized, easily managed, easily operated, and easily scaled.
Google plays an important role in education by enhancing efficiency, productivity of teachers and students. Its apps and services foster higher degree of collaboration, empower students and level the playing field for all. The low priced and free apps and services can be afforded by all and used widely.